Thursday, November 20, 2008

Masking Technique...


Some of you had asked me about the masking technique I have been using in my layouts. Its the opposite of stamping.


Description:

1. Take your desired shape out of scrap paper. Any shape- circles, squares, tags, negative of alphas or even roughly torn scrap paper.

2. Place it where you want to mask. Example, I have used a tag cut out of a pattern paper and placed it on a white scrap paper. I want the inside of the white paper to be blank to write in it. But you could place your mask where you want to in the layout.Even over the ribbon, flower, photo etc., Basically, you are covering the area you want to be untouched and working around it.

3.Then use your desired color ink and dabb around the mask. I have used makeup sponge and distress ink from Tim Holtz.

4. Remove the mask piece and here is the awesome effect around the masked area.

I use it mainly to distress, produce extra layer without adding another piece of pattern paper.


In "Pretty in Pink" layout, I used the negative of a diecut flourish and dabbed the ink to get the flourish on the layout.


There are endless ways to use this technique.

So have fun.


Here are some photos to show you how it is done.






hugs

Gayatri

No comments: